Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs?- Can Dogs and Snake Plants Coexist?

Is the Snake Plant a Danger to Your Dog's Health? Uncovering the Truth About Toxicity.

This article discusses the toxicity of snake plants for dogs. It explains that ingestion of the plant can cause mild to moderate gastrointestinal upset, vomiting, diarrhea, and nausea. It also provides tips on how to treat snake plant poisoning in dogs and how to prevent it from happening in the first place. Pet owners should be aware of the potential danger posed by this poisonous houseplant and avoid having it around their pets.

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs?

What is a Snake Plant?

A snake plant, also known as a mother-in-law’s tongue or good luck plant, is an evergreen perennial that grows in tropical and subtropical climates. It has long, sword-shaped leaves with yellow edges and can reach up to three feet in height. The snake plant is a popular houseplant due to its low maintenance requirements and its ability to purify the air by removing harmful toxins such as formaldehyde and benzene.

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs

Are Snake Plants Toxic to Dogs?

Unfortunately, yes. The snake plant contains saponins which are toxic if ingested by animals such as dogs and cats. If your pet ingests any part of the snake plant, it can lead to mild to moderate gastrointestinal upset including nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. In rare cases, skin irritation may also occur. It is important for pet owners to be aware of the potential danger posed by the snake plant if their pet where to eat it. While some plants are considered dog friendly such as golden bird of paradise or spider plants, the snake plant is not one of them. If you have a pet in your home, it's best to avoid having any type of poisonous house plant around them as even small amounts can be dangerous for them if ingested.

What Are the Symptoms of Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog eats any part of a snake plant then they may experience some symptoms including:

  • Gastrointestinal upset
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
  • Nausea
  • Skin irritation

If you notice any of these symptoms then it is important that you seek medical attention for your pet immediately as they may require treatment depending on how much they have eaten and how severe their symptoms are. It is also important that you contact your local Animal Poison Control Center straight away so that they can provide further advice about what steps you should take next and what treatment may be necessary for your pet.

How Can You Treat Snake Plant Poisoning in Dogs?

If your dog has eaten any part of a snake plant then there are some steps that you can take in order to help reduce the risk of further harm being caused:

  • Induce vomiting: If possible, try to induce vomiting so that any remaining pieces of the plant can be expelled from their body.
  • Provide fluids: Make sure that your dog has access to plenty of fluids so that they do not become dehydrated.
  • Monitor closely: Keep an eye on your pet for any changes in behavior or further symptoms.

Can You Prevent Snake Plant Toxicity in Dogs?

The best way to prevent toxicity from occurring is by avoiding having poisonous plants such as the snake plant around pets such as dogs and cats who may be tempted to eat them due to curiosity or hunger. It is always better safe than sorry when it comes to keeping pets safe from potentially hazardous plants so it’s best practice just not to have them around at all if possible!

Related Article: What Does Catnip Do to Dogs?


In conclusion, while the snake plant is a popular houseplant due its low maintenance requirements and air purifying qualities, it should not be kept around pets such as dogs or cats due its toxicity if ingested. If you think that your pet has eaten any part of this poisonous houseplant then it’s important that you seek medical attention immediately in order for treatment options to be provided right away before more serious health issues arise!"

Frequently Asked Questions

What happens if my dog eats a snake plant?

Due to their attractive appearance and the fact that they are very easy to care for, snake plants are very popular indoor plants. Unfortunately it's also toxic to dogs and can cause nausea, vomiting and diarrhea if ingested, says the ASPCA.

Are snake plants safe for pets?

Snake plants are a very popular type of houseplant because they're resilient and easy to care for. But have you ever wondered – are snake plants toxic to cats? Unfortunately, snake plants are actually toxic to cats as well as dogs. Snake plants contain a toxin known as saponin. Oct 31, 2022

Can dogs lick snake plants?

Are Snake Plants Safe for Dogs? No, snake plants are toxic plants that contain a toxin called saponins in the leaves that can poison your dog when ingested.

Are snake plants safe for puppies?

Snake Plant They've even been used as herbal remedies in some parts of the world. But the plants are also poisonous if ingested. Large doses can cause nausea and vomiting, and the poison found in the plant has a numbing effect that can cause the tongue and throat to swell. Jul 31, 2017

What plants are safe for dogs?

Plant dog-friendly plants You can still have a beautiful garden if you have a dog – many plants pose no threat to dogs. They include snapdragons, asters, camellias, rose, sunflowers, elaeagnus, centaurea (cornflower), impatiens and Calendula. Sep 17, 2021

How do I stop my dog from eating poisonous plants?

Many dogs don't like the taste or smell of lemon and will avoid it when they smell it coming from your plants. Spritz some of your houseplants with diluted lemon juice or even place slices of lemons in the pots. This should keep the dogs away. June 21, 2018

Back to blog