Simple Steps to Keep Fido Off the Furniture: A Guide for Dog Owners
This article provides tips on how to keep your pup from jumping on the furniture. It suggests providing access to a pet training mat or dog bed, using positive reinforcement, purchasing scat mats and couch defenders, hiring a professional dog trainer, using verbal commands when catching your pup in mid-jump, and providing an inviting place for them to sleep.
How to Keep Your Dog Off the Couch
Teaching Your Dog to Stay Off the Furniture
Keeping your pup off the furniture can be a real challenge for many dog owners. However, with some patience and dedication, you can train your dog to stay off the couch and other pieces of furniture. Here are some tips on how to keep your pup from jumping on the couch.
- Provide Access to the Furniture: If you want your pup to stay off the couch, make sure they don't have access to it. This can be done by placing a pet training mat or dog bed in front of the furniture. This will give them a designated spot that they can lay down on instead of jumping on the furniture.
- Positive Reinforcement: When your pup is not on the furniture, reward them with treats and praise. This will help reinforce that staying off the furniture is a good behavior that should be rewarded.
- Couch Defenders: You can also purchase products such as scat mats and couch defenders that will discourage your pup from jumping on the furniture. These products work by emitting an unpleasant sensation when touched, which helps teach your pup not to jump up.
- Dog Trainer: If you are having trouble teaching your dog to stay off of the furniture, consider hiring a professional dog trainer who can provide you with advice and guidance on how best to train your pup.
- Dog Jumps: If you catch your pup in mid-jump onto the couch, use verbal commands such as “no” or “down” and gently guide them away from it. This will help them understand that jumping up is not allowed.
- Dog Bed: Make sure that you have an inviting and comfortable place for your pup to sleep at night so they don't feel tempted to jump up onto couches or chairs during nap time.
Related Article: Get Rid of Fishy Smell from Dog?
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I put on my couch to keep my dog off?
But putting a few aluminum foil-lined pots and pans on the mats while you're away will keep most dogs from getting up.
Can you keep dogs off furniture?
If you don't mind your dog on the furniture most of the time, teach a cue (“Off!”) for him to remove himself. As soon as your dog gets off the furniture, give him a play or treat reward, or at least sit there yourself. Cats can be more difficult, as they are seldom impressed by even the most elegant of beds.
Is jumping off the couch bad for a dog?
Hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, arthritis, or a luxating patella are just some of the conditions that can be exacerbated by the trauma put on joints from jumping off furniture. For a small dog, soaring off a sofa could be equivalent to us jumping off a wall triple our height! Aug 9, 2021
What age can a puppy jump off the couch?
Puppies shouldn't be asked to jump in extreme or competitive situations until they're at least 12-15 months old (or older for giant/slow-maturing breeds). This is because puppy growth plates aren't closed until at least 12 months of age and jumping on open growth plates can cause long term damage. Jan 28, 2020
At what age do dogs stop destroying furniture?
The desire to investigate interesting objects and the discomfort of teething motivate puppies to chew. Much like human infants, puppies go through a stage when they lose their baby teeth and experience pain as their adult teeth come in. This intensified chewing phase usually ends by six months of age.
Do people let dogs on the couch?
In general, letting your dog on the furniture is unlikely to cause problems, behavioral or otherwise. Dogs love to curl up on the sofa, the bed, and anywhere else that's nice and soft. They also like to spend time in their humans' favorite spots. Feb 23, 2022